NEW 2015 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY SPORT MAKES CANADIAN DEBUT AT MONTREAL INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW
- Bold and progressive design defines the new Discovery family of vehicles
- Room for seven passengers, in a 5+2 configuration
- New multi-link rear suspension for superior on-road agility and off- road ability
- Roomy and versatile cabin with a compact exterior footprint
- 240hp turbocharged 2-litre, nine-speed automatic transmission and four-wheel drive are standard
- Exceptional all-terrain performance courtesy of optimized off-road geometry, plus Terrain Response®
- Connected on-road handling with electric power-assisted steering
- Optional Autonomous Emergency Braking designed to help the driver avoid collisions2
- New 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system with intuitive controls and an expansive connectivity package
- On sale in Canada Spring 2015 with MSRP of $41,490
The Land Rover Discovery Sport today makes its Canadian auto show debut at the Palais des congrès de Montréal. MSRP for the new Discovery Sport is $41,490. The new Land Rover Discovery Sport is a versatile premium compact SUV that is the first member of the new Discovery vehicle family. A dynamic design with a compact footprint provides seven-passenger seating in a “5+2” configuration. The 2015 Discovery Sport will deliver a highly refined combination of performance, safety and efficiency thanks to a body shell of high-strength steel and lightweight aluminum, a 240hp turbocharged 2.0-litre engine, nine-speed automatic transmission and standard all-wheel drive.
New Land Rover innovations debut in the Discovery Sport, including available Autonomous Emergency Braking1 and a new touchscreen infotainment system2.
“The Discovery Sport is the perfect vehicle for the Canadian terrain and tough winter climates like in Montreal,” said Lindsay Duffield, Jaguar Land Rover Canada President. “Not only is it capable and luxurious, its price point makes it available to even more Canadians who want to enter the compact premium SUV market.”
Designed and engineered at the Land Rover Development Centre in the UK, the Discovery Sport will be produced at the company’s award-winning manufacturing facility in Halewood, Liverpool, in the United Kingdom. It goes on sale in early 2015 alongside the existing seven-seat Land Rover LR4 in Canada, which is sold as the Discovery in over 170 markets worldwide.
The Land Rover Discovery Sport will offer a comprehensive range of personalization options, including:
- Black Pack: a gloss-black grille, door mirror caps, front fender vents, hood and tailgate lettering and a choice of 19- or 20-inch alloy wheel designs
- Contrast roof in Santorini Black or Corris Grey that extends to the base of the A-pillars
- A range of seven distinctive alloy wheel designs – including the striking Aero Viper – is available with a selection of Silver or Gloss Black finish, depending on wheel design
- Front and rear undershields, together with tubular stainless-steel side steps with a highly polished finish, underscore the vehicle’s all-terrain capability. Noble-silver painted door-mirror caps complement the look
- Optional (on the SE) and standard on HSE and Lux full panoramic roof with a dark tint and a special surface treatment for solar protection makes the cabin feel even more spacious. A power-retracting shade offers additional sun shielding
- Available accessory luggage compartment rails create a highly configurable luggage area, and can be specified in conjunction with a Retention Kit featuring a telescopic crossbeam and retractable band to secure loose items
Also available as dealer accessories:
- Headrest-mounted iPad® holders for rear-seat passengers feature quick-release for added security
- A centre armrest cooler/warmer box finished in premium leather provides convenient storage for food and drinks and maintains items at a desired temperature
- A full range of rubber mats and liners help to protect carpets and the luggage compartment from mud and wear-and-tear under heavy use
- A range of towing features, available as accessories, includes a detachable towing system and fixed-height tow bar
At the core of the new Land Rover Discovery Sport is the outstanding capability that’s been the hallmark of the company’s vehicles for nearly half a century. As it has done with all its models, Land Rover instilled the Discovery Sport with a compelling combination of off-road capability and on-road dynamics. Interior packaging and safety innovations make the new model an ideal family vehicle, while extensive use of intelligent lightweight materials and an efficient powertrain reduce fuel costs and environmental impact.
Land Rover Terrain Response® maximizes the capability of the Discovery Sport in challenging conditions. Controlled through an intuitive interface on the centre console, Terrain Response® is designed to precisely tailor the vehicle’s steering, throttle response, gearbox, centre-coupling and braking and stability systems to the demands of the terrain. Terrain Response® features four settings: General; Grass/Gravel/Snow (for slippery conditions on- and off-road); Mud and Ruts, and Sand2 as well as an optional Dynamic Mode.
Terrain Response® is backed up by a suite of technologies that support off-road and slippery-condition driving. These include:
- Hill Descent Control® (HDC) maintains a set speed while negotiating steep inclines off-road1
- Gradient Release Control® (GRC) progressively releases the brakes when moving away on an incline for maximum control1
- Roll Stability Control (RSC) designed to detect the onset of a rollover and applies the brakes to the outer wheels to bring the vehicle under control1
- Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) corrects oversteer and understeer by reducing engine torque and/or applying brakes to individual wheels1
- Electronic Traction Control (ETC) reduces torque and/or applies a braking force to individual wheels to prevent wheelspin1
- Engine Drag Torque Control (EDC) helps to prevent lock-up under heavy engine braking in slippery conditions by increasing engine torque to the affected wheels1
1 These systems are not a substitute for driving safely with due care and attention and will not function under all circumstances, speeds, weather and road conditions, etc. Driver should not assume that these systems will correct errors of judgment in driving. Please consult the owner’s manual or your local authorized Land Rover Retailer for more details.
2 Driving while distracted can result in loss of vehicle control. Do not operate, adjust or view the navigation or multimedia systems under conditions that will affect your safety or the safety of others. Only use mobile phones and other devices, even with voice commands, when it is safe to do so.