At Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC and Jaguar Land Rover Limited (collectively referred to as “JLR”, “our”, or “we”), we respect and are committed to protecting your privacy.
Information We Collect - We collect various information about you and your InControl-equipped Land Rover vehicle, including:
- information relating to your purchase or lease of your InControl-equipped Land Rover vehicle;
- information about your communications with us, requests made via the My Land Rover InControl website or Remote Smartphone App, and how you access and use the My Land Rover InControl website or Remote Smartphone App (including device-related information);
- information about your vehicle, including its make, model, model year, features, registration number, Vehicle Identification Number, date of purchase or lease and vehicle status;
- location Information: Unless you cancel your InControl services, we will collect your vehicle’s last-parked location. When the “Journey Tracking” function is activated, we collect the location of your vehicle, average speed, and other information. The full Policy describes how you can turn off the “Journey Tracking” function. But certain events, such as emergency calls or deployment of airbags, may automatically activate collection of location information even when the “Journey Tracking” function is turned off. Depending upon the location settings of your mobile device, which you can control, the InControl Remote Smartphone App may collect information about your mobile device’s location, but this information is not transmitted to us. The location information is processed on your device;
- o Please note that users of the InControl Remote Smartphone App or My Land Rover InControl website and JLR may be able to view the Vehicle’s status or location when in use by others.
- by using cookies and other technologies to track your interactions with our online services and personalize your experience;
- information about you and your vehicle from publicly or commercially available sources.
How We Use Information - We use information:
- to provide you with the InControl services you have requested and to improve and troubleshoot those services;
- to communicate with you about your account or vehicle, learn about you, and provide you with offers that may be of interest to you, and resolve disputes; and
- to improve, maintain, and troubleshoot InControl services and provide diagnostics and service information for your vehicle.
Sharing Information – We share information:
- with third-parties, including service providers, that process information on our behalf, and to provide you with InControl services;
- with our corporate affiliates and authorized Land Rover retailers;
- with our trusted business partners to provide you with information about goods and services;
- to facilitate a transfer of a business or related assets; when there is a legal obligation to disclose your information; or to protect our legal rights, the public, or others; and
- in a de-identified manner for various purposes.
You may update your account profile via the My Land Rover InControl website.
If we use your information to provide you with marketing communications from us or others, we may make certain options available regarding those communications via the My Land Rover InControl website.
You can learn about your ability to register your do not track preferences in the “Do Not Track Preferences” section of the full Policy.
We use reasonable security measures to protect your information.
InControl Services are not intended for children under 13.
We are not responsible for any third-party products or services you access via the InControl Services.
How to Contact Us
Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC
555 MacArthur Blvd.
Mahwah, New Jersey 07430
Attn: Customer Care – Privacy Issues
Effective as of July 16, 2014
SCOPE OF POLICY
This Policy, which is incorporated into the InControl Package Terms and Conditions as set out at www.landroverusa.com/incontrol/terms-and-conditions/ (“InControl Terms and Conditions”), applies to your use of:
- any of the “InControl” services to which you have subscribed which includes; (i) the “SOS Emergency Call” services or (ii) the “Optimized Land Rover Assistance” services (“InControl Services”) (for more information about InControl Services see www.landroverusa.com);
- the website from which you can access your InControl Services account and access certain InControl Services (“My Land Rover InControl website”); and
- the InControl Remote Smartphone mobile application software (“InControl Remote Smartphone App”) that you have downloaded from the relevant App provider website onto your mobile telephone or handheld device (“Device”).
INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT ABOUT YOU
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Submitted Information: information that you or the authorized Land Rover retailer from which you purchased or leased your Vehicle provide during the setup of your InControl Services account. This information includes, but is not limited to, your name, address, telephone number (including mobile number), e-mail address, language preference, password and PIN for your InControl Services account, and your preferred authorized Land Rover retailer.
- Transaction and Communication Records:
- if you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence; and
- details of transactions you carry out through the My Land Rover InControl website or the InControl Remote Smartphone App.
- Device Information (including location): We may collect information about the Device or any computer you may use to download a copy of the InControl Remote Smartphone App onto your Device, including the operating system and version, the InControl Remote Smartphone App installation unique identifier, and the Device’s locale settings and country code. The InControl Remote Smartphone App may also collect information about the location of your device and tokens and username for identification. You can restrict the access to, or collection of, your Device’s location by disabling the location features of your Device or by not using the features of the device that require location information.
- Vehicle Identification Information: information about the vehicle that you have registered to the InControl Services (“Vehicle”) including the Vehicle Identification Number (“VIN”), make, model, model year, Vehicle features, registration number, date of purchase or lease, and the authorized Land Rover retailer from which you purchased or leased the Vehicle.
- Vehicle Location Information: information about the last parked location of the Vehicle, which will always be collected unless you cancel your InControl Services by the method(s) described in the InControl Terms and Conditions. We will also collect and process information about the location of the Vehicle at any point in time as part of the “Journey Tracking” function (“Journeys”) of the InControl Services. The information that we will collect and process as part of Journeys is set out in “Journey Information” below. You are able to switch off Journeys via the My Land Rover InControl website or the InControl Remote Smartphone App. If, however, the “SOS Emergency Call” or the “Optimized Land Rover Assistance” function is activated, real-time location data relating to the Vehicle will be sent to the relevant service providers and/or emergency services (as appropriate) even if you have switched off Journeys. Please note that the “SOS Emergency Call” function will be activated automatically upon the occurrence of a relevant trigger event such as the deployment of the Vehicle’s airbags. For full details of the relevant trigger events please refer to the Vehicle handbook.
- Journey Information: information about your journey sent from your Vehicle including the journey distance, the duration of the journey, the average speed, and data about the Vehicle’s fuel efficiency. You can turn off Journeys via the My Land Rover InControl website or the InControl Remote Smartphone App. This will prevent any of the above information from being sent from the Vehicle (except for the last parked location).
- Vehicle Operation Information: this includes information relating to the Vehicle’s involvement in an accident, such as the deployment of airbags or activation of Vehicle sensors. We may also collect information about the operation of the Vehicle including, but not limited to, the fuel level, the estimated distance to empty, the odometer value, the distance to recommended service status, the coolant level, the washer fluid level, the brake fluid status, the brake pad wear, tire pressure, tire pressure sensor failure, engine malfunction, oil level, door and window status, trunk open, hood open status, battery voltage, and whether the alarm is armed or sounding.
- Log Information: when you use the InControl Services or access the My Land Rover InControl website we may automatically collect and store certain information in server logs, including but not limited to Internet protocol (IP) addresses, Internet service provider (ISP), clickstream data, browser type and language, viewed and exit pages and date or time stamps. We will automatically collect and store logs of “SOS Emergency Call” and “Optimized Land Rover Assistance” calls made from the Vehicle (including the date, time duration, content of the call, and number of calls made). We will also collect and store logs of your usage of the InControl Remote Smartphone App services, vehicle status messages sent by your Vehicle and will collect and process details of your visits to the My Land Rover InControl website.
We may also collect information about you from public or commercial sources.
We may combine any of the above described information together and will treat the combined information as personal information in accordance with this policy for as long as it is combined.
ACCESS TO LOCATION AND VEHICLE INFORMATION
Please note that users of the InControl Remote Smartphone App and My Land Rover InControl website may be able to view the location or status of the Vehicle when it is in use by others. It is therefore important for you to secure the password, PIN, and other credentials used to access your account. In response to a legal obligation or as necessary to protect our rights or property or the safety of you or others, JLR may view or disclose the last parked location of the Vehicle or, when Journeys is active, view or disclose the real-time location of your vehicle while it is in use.
Two types of cookies are used on the My Land Rover InControl website:
1. Session Cookies, which are temporary cookies that remain in the cookie file of your browser until you leave the site.
2. Persistent Cookies, which remain in the cookie file of your browser for much longer (though how long will depend on the lifetime of the specific cookie).
Session Cookies are used:
- So that you do not have to re-enter information when you visit different pages on the My Land Rover InControl website.
- Within registration to allow you to access stored information.
Persistent Cookies are used:
- To help us recognize you as a unique visitor when you visit the My Land Rover InControl website.
- To allow us to tailor content or advertisements to match your preferred interests or to avoid showing you the same ads repeatedly.
- To compile anonymous, aggregated statistics that allow us to understand how users use our site and to help us improve the structure of our website.
Some of the pages on the My Land Rover InControl website and electronic communications associated with InControl may contain images, which may or may not be visible to you, known as Web Beacons (sometimes referred to as “clear gifs”). Web Beacons collect only limited information that includes a cookie number; time and date of a page view; and a description of the page on which the Web Beacon resides. We may also carry Web Beacons placed by third party advertisers. These Web Beacons do not personally identify you and are only used to track usage of the My Land Rover InControl website and activities associated with the My Land Rover InControl website or communications. See the Do Not Track Preferences section below.
DO NOT TRACK PREFERENCES
When you visit the My Land Rover InControl website, we may collect certain anonymous information for various purposes, such as learning about how users interact with or come to the My Land Rover InControl website, when you visit the My Land Rover InControl website. Such information may include click stream information, browser type, time and date, and content clicked or scrolled over. We typically use a cookie or Web Beacon to collect this information, as described above. Through these technologies, we may have access to and use non-personalized information about your online usage activity. We do not allow third-parties to collect information about your activities on the My Land Rover InControl website.
Note: If you opt-out of tracking by configuring your web browser as described above, you should not delete your cookies. If you delete your cookies, you will need to opt-out again.
We do not otherwise respond to browser ‘do not track’ signals or other mechanisms that provide a method to opt out of the collection of information across the networks of websites and online services in which we participate; if we do so in the future, we will describe how we do so here. Again, see http://allaboutdnt.com/ for more information.
USES MADE OF THE INFORMATION
We use the information we collect in the following ways:
- Submitted Information: This information is processed to set up your InControl Services account and to send you information about the InControl Services (for example information about any updates to the InControl Services or the InControl Remote Smartphone App).
- Transaction and Communication Records: This information is processed to help to resolve any issues with the InControl Services, to help resolve disputes connected with the InControl Services, and to improve our customer service. We may record calls with you for training purposes and to help resolve issues.
- Device Information: This information is automatically processed to provide you with the best service and to support issue resolution.
- Vehicle Identification Information, Location Information, Journey Information, Vehicle Operation Information: This information is processed to provide the InControl Services to you and to maintain and improve the quality of the InControl Services and to improve our customer service. We will also use this information to assist in resolving any technical issues with the InControl Services and to enhance your experience of the InControl Services. We will use the Vehicle Operation Information to aid in diagnostics and servicing in relation to the Vehicle.
- Log Information: This information is processed for analytics and logging purposes (for example to investigate system crashes or potential misuse of the InControl Services), to maintain and improve the quality of the InControl Services, and to improve our customer service.
We may use any of the above information to generate statistics and analytics about your use of the InControl Services or to assess topics that may be of interest to you. This allows us to personalize your InControl Services and the communications you receive from us, detect and prevent fraud or misuse of the InControl Services, and address security concerns.
We may also use your information to contact you about goods and services that may be of interest to you and InControl service-related messages. We may contact you about these by mail, email, telephone, or text, including via autodialed or prerecorded messages to your home or cellphone. Should we wish to use your information to contact you for these purposes, about goods or services that may be of interest to you, or pass your information on to third parties for their own marketing purposes, we will notify you before doing so. Moreover, if we wish to use or share your information for the purposes just mentioned, you will be able to register your preferences about such uses via the My Land Rover InControl website. Regardless of the marketing choices you select, we may continue to contact you through various channels for InControl service-related purposes.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
We may disclose your personal information and the other information collected as described above to our telematics service provider, the emergency services, our road side assistance provider, our stolen vehicle tracking provider, local authorities, or others for the purpose of providing the InControl Services to you.
We may also share the information collected by us with our authorized Land Rover retailers to assist them in servicing your Vehicle and in delivering an improved customer experience to you.
We may also pass the information collected above to third parties:
- in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets;
- if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal or regulatory obligation or request, including the possibility of providing information about your Vehicle’s location;
- to protect the rights, property or personal safety of JLR, its users, customers or the public; or
- to enforce or apply the InControl Terms and Conditions;
- or to investigate potential breaches, fraud, or misuse.
We may also share your personal data with third parties or service providers that handle marketing communications on our behalf, including for co-branded offers, subject to you not having chosen to prevent certain marketing communications from us.
We may share non-personally identifiable information (such as anonymous user usage data, referring/exit pages and URLs, platform types, number of clicks, etc.) with third parties to demonstrate the usage patterns for JLR’s advertisements, content, functionality promotions and/or services on the My Land Rover InControl website, communications, and/or on third party websites.
We use reasonable administrative, technical, and physical security measures to protect your information against loss, misuse, alteration, disclosure, destruction, theft or unauthorized access.
When you have chosen a password that enables you to access the My Land Rover InControl website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
The transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data when stored with us or transmitted over the Internet; any transmission or storage is at your own risk. When you are logged into the InControl Remote Smartphone App or My Land Rover InControl website, some of your personal data may be stored by your Device in local cache and will be kept until you log out. When you access the My Land Rover InControl website, cookies may be stored and these do not include any personal data.
We require all of our services providers (those entities performing services on our behalf) to have appropriate measures in place to maintain the security of your information and such service providers will only be able to access and use your information for the purpose of providing the InControl Services.
CHANGING YOUR ACCOUNT PROFILE SETTINGS
If you wish to update your account profile settings, you may do so via the My Land Rover InControl website.
INFORMATION FROM CHILDREN
InControl is not intended or designed to attract children under the age of thirteen (13). We do not collect personally identifiable data from any person that we know to be under the age of thirteen (13). In any case, InControl IS NOT INTENDED FOR CHILDREN UNDER 13 THAT ARE UNACCOMPANIED BY THEIR PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN.
YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
Under California’s “Shine the Light” law, California residents who provide personal information in connection with obtaining products or services for personal, family or household use are entitled to request and obtain from us once a calendar year information about the customer information we shared, if any, with other businesses for their own direct marketing uses. If applicable, this information would include the categories of customer information and the names and addresses of those businesses with which we shared customer information for the immediately prior calendar year (e.g., requests made in 2014 will receive information regarding 2013 sharing activities).
To obtain this information on behalf of JLR, please send an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Request for California Privacy Information” in the subject line and in the body of your message. We will provide the requested information to you at your e-mail address in response.
Please be aware that not all information sharing is covered by the “Shine the Light” requirements and only information on covered sharing will be included in our response.
UPDATES TO THIS POLICY
If you have additional questions or comments of any kind, please let us know by e-mail or by sending your comments or requests to:
Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC
555 MacArthur Blvd.
Mahwah, New Jersey 07430
Attn: Customer Care – Privacy Issues