Your use of the JLR Canada Website is also governed by Terms and Conditions located at https://www.jaguar.ca/en/terms-conditions.html, and at https://www.landrover.com/terms-and-conditions.html.
1. What Personal Information we Collect. The personal information we collect depends on how you interact with us and our website. We may collect personal information such as your name, contact information, biographical information such as household data, preferences, and demographic information, driver’s licence number, vehicle identification number and information about your vehicle, your purchase or other history and communications with us such as service or warranty claims, financial information such as information about your purchase or lease of one of our vehicles, and other information you choose to provide to us.
2. What we do with the Personal Information we Collect. We use the personal information we collect to enable and improve our Website, to determine which of our products and services are most popular, to personalize your experience on the Website, and to inform you about our products and services. We may use personal information to establish and maintain a customer relationship, communicate with you, for promotional purposes such as advertising, to understand your needs and preferences and improve our marketing, to provide and improve our products and services, to conduct research, and to manage our relationship, such as administering your purchase, lease, warranty, or other services you receive from us. We may also use personal information to assist you and our retailers, such as providing you with retailer offers, arranging a test drive at your request, or to allow you to build and save vehicle configurations.
3. When we Disclose Personal Information. We may share personal information with our service providers, in the event of a business transaction involving our company, or for legal reasons, such as to protect ourselves or others. We may share information with our retailers to ensure its accuracy, if you ask us to help resolve a concern you have, or if you have asked us to do so, such as by asking to arrange a test drive, or asking for a quote form a retailer.
- Collection and Use of Personal Information
- Additional Ways that Information is Collected
- When Information Is Disclosed By JLR Canada
- User Account, Password, and Security
- Employment Opportunity Information
- Collection Information From Children
- Third Parties and Links
- International Transfers of Information
- European Union Users
- Access and Correction
- Contact Us
1. Collection and Use of Personal Information
Personal information collected by JLR Canada is used for four main purposes. First, we collect information to enable the features of the Website. Second, we collect information to improve the Website by determining which of our products, features and services are most popular. Third, we may now or in the future collect information to personalize the experience of the users of the Website. Finally, we collect information to communicate with you, as permitted by law, and to inform you about JLR Canada’s and third parties’ products, services and events.
We may also collect and use personal information for other purposes which are disclosed to you, and to which you consent (whether expressly or by implication by providing us with your personal information with knowledge of how we intend to use it), or to meet our legal obligations. For example, we may collect and use personal information to:
- establish, maintain and improve our customer relationship with you and provide you with offers, incentives, marketing programs or promotional material about us and our automotive products and services, such as brochures and newsletters, both through email, direct mail, and other means of communication;
- more effectively market to you our vehicles, vehicle parts, accessories and services by better understanding your automotive product and service needs and preferences;
- improve the automotive products and services we offer through customer surveys conducted by us and participation in market research studies conducted by third parties;
- assist in administering your vehicle purchase, lease, warranty, any extended service plan, Roadside Assistance, or ongoing vehicle service, including advising you of any product recalls or customer notifications with respect to your vehicle, arranging for JLR Canada retailers to obtain required vehicles and parts on a timely basis to meet your needs;
- provide you with services you request and respond to your comments, concerns or requests for information;
- assist our retailers to meet your automotive product and services needs such as providing you with offers, service reminders, marketing programs or promotional materials;
- send you a verification email when you create an account;
- provide you with access to our websites, channels, and applications, including, if you choose to create an SSO Account, to allow you to use the same login data and preferences for all participating JLR websites, channels, and applications; and
- allow you to build and save vehicle configurations using tools we may provide on the Website;
- provide you with offers and information about related automotive products and/or services offered by others which we think may be of interest to you.
We may process personal information to produce aggregated, anonymized data, which does not identify you or anyone else. We may use and disclose this information for analytical purposes or any other purpose permitted by applicable law.
The types of personal information JLR Canada collects may include:
(2) mailing addresses;
(3) e-mail addresses;
(4) biographical information such as household data, preferences, and demographic information;
(5) home and/or mobile telephone numbers;
(6) drivers’ license numbers;
(7) purchase information regarding our products and services;
(8) vehicle identification numbers (VINs);
(9) information about your vehicle, such as applicable vehicle incentives, new or used, lease or purchase, any trade-in, odometer reading, make, model, model year and options, recalls, and customer notification programs, and whether you have disposed of a Land Rover or Jaguar vehicle;
(10) information about your vehicle service, including warranty and paid repair data and extended service plan or Roadside Assistance for your vehicle;
(11) information you provide us about you and your purchase, lease or service experience and competitive vehicle ownership;
(12) financial and credit information about you shared with us by JLR Canada’s financial service providers, such as name, contact information, credit history, income, banking information as well as the terms of your financing and lease agreements (as applicable); and
(13) other personal information you choose to submit.
The means by which JLR Canada collects such personal information may include:
(1) when you purchase, order, or request information about our products and services through the Website or through other means;
(2) when you access a JLR Canada social media platform;
(3) when you sign up for e-mail notifications, electronic newsletters, or social media notifications from, or on behalf of, JLR Canada;
(4) when you enter or participate in a JLR Canada contest, event, promotion or sweepstakes, or respond to one of our surveys;
(5) when you provide JLR Canada with comments, suggestions or other input through the Website;
(6) when you create a user account and/or SSO Account for use in connection with the Website (your “User Account”);
(7) from financial service providers when you lease or purchase a vehicle from us and where you have provided your consent, the financial service providers provide us with your contact information and information about your finance or lease contract so that we may offer you automotive or financial services products that may be of interest to you;
(8) when you acquire a new or pre-owned vehicle from one of our retailers, or obtain vehicular service from one of our retailers, the retailer provides us with information about you and your vehicle, such as your name and contact information, VIN and vehicle details, service history, any trade-in, lease or applicable incentive information, and service coverage plan;
(9) when you call our Customer Relations Centre (CRC), or when we call you, it is our general practice to monitor and/or record such calls for purposes that will be identified at the outset of the call; and
(10) when you otherwise choose to provide us or one of our retailers with personal information.
JLR Canada may also collect such personal information in our marketing efforts with third parties, or on third party websites. For example, we may collect personal information if you interact with us through one of our retailers, participate in a promotion we run with another company, or speak to our representatives at an automotive show or event.
JLR Canada may purchase such personal information from reputable third-party vendors who provide us with reasonable assurances as to their compliance with applicable privacy laws, including ensuring that the form of consent that is required by law has been obtained. For example, we may collect a list of names and addresses, which may include your name and address where the provider of the list has obtained appropriate consent, from list vendors to send promotions or product information to the names on the list.
To ensure our database addresses remain accurate, we also obtain address information from third party licensed data providers and other authorized parties, all of whom are obligated to comply with applicable privacy laws.
JLR Canada or a partner may sponsor promotions, sweepstakes or contests through the Website. Your participation is entirely voluntary. Users may be asked to provide personal information including, among other things, name, email address or home address or to answer questions in order to participate.
2. Additional Ways that Information is Collected
Browser Log Files
Our servers automatically log each visitor to the Website and collect and record certain information about each visitor. We use this information to perform analytics on user experience while using the Website and to improve the functionality of our Website to better meet user wants and needs. This information includes or may include your “Internet Protocol”, or IP, address, browser language, browser type, operating system, domain names, browsing history (including time spent at a domain, time and date of your visit), referring/exit web pages and URLs, and number of clicks.
Some of our web pages and electronic communications may contain images, which may or may not be visible to you, known as Web Beacons (sometimes referred to as “clear gifs”). Web Beacons collect information that includes a cookie number; time and date of a page view; and a description of the page on which the Web Beacon resides. We may also carry Web Beacons placed by third party advertisers. These Web Beacons are used to track usage of the Website and activities associated with the Website. See the Third Party Opt Out section below.
We may assign you a unique internal identifier to help keep track of your future visits. We use this information to gather aggregate demographic information about our visitors, and we use it to personalize the information you see on the Website and some of the electronic communications you receive from us.
Third Party Opt Out
We may allow third-party companies to serve advertisements and/or collect certain information when you visit the Website. When you visit our Website, we will notify you regarding this collection of information, ask whether you accept such collection, and provide you with information on how to opt out of such collection. These companies may use information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to the Website in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party Web Beacon to collect this information, as further described above. Through these technologies, the third party may have access to and use information about your online usage activity.
We utilise Google Analytics to track user information such as user location as inferred from IP address, the amount of time a visitor spends on our Website, which pages are more frequently accessed, how the Website is accessed (either directly, a search engine, or from a link), what sort of software is used (e.g.: operating system, browser type, etc.), number of unique visitors, as well as demographics. Google offers an opt-out mechanism here (https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/).
You can opt-out of our online behavioral services through any one of the ways described below (you don't need to go to each opt-out site, one is sufficient). After you opt-out, you will continue to receive online advertisements, but those advertisements will no longer be as relevant to you.
On the Ads that are served by us, you can opt out by using the “Ad Choices” option on our Ads. More information about Ad Choices is available at: http://youradchoices.ca/.
3. When Information Is Disclosed By JLR Canada
We may share the following with your retailer:
- personal information that you have previously provided to your retailer, updated for accuracy, if we have more accurate information from you or a third party licensed data provider
- with your consent, information that you provide to our Customer Relations Centre (CRC) in order to assist you to resolve any issues or concerns you may have
- personal information, including first and last name, email address, phone number, postal code, and vehicle of interest, with retailers from whom you have requested an online service such as a test drive or quote to assist them to better meet your needs. If you have not specified a retailer or you have not purchased or leased a vehicle from an existing retailer, we may share your information with the retailer who has responsibility for the market area in which you reside, so that the retailer may contact you.
We reserve the right to disclose personal information in the following circumstances or for the following purposes:
- in connection with the enforcement of our Terms and Conditions located at Jaguar www.jaguar.ca/en/terms-conditions.html and Land Rover www.landrover.ca/en/terms-and-conditions.html;
- to take precautions against liability and investigate and defend against any third party claims or allegations, including to respond to claims that any materials, documents, images, graphics, logos, designs, audio, video and any other information provided from or on the Website violates the rights of third parties;
- to protect the rights, property, or personal safety of JLR Canada, our users or others;
- when required by law or in the good-faith belief that such disclosure is necessary to: (1) comply with a legal process and applicable laws; (2) assist government enforcement agencies.
We reserve the right to transfer your personal information, as well as any other information, in connection with the sale or other disposition of all or part of the JLR Canada business and/or assets or other business transaction as permitted by law. In this context, in addition to transferring your personal information to the purchasing organization, the information may also be transferred to and accessible by a secured lender or a professional advisor with respect to such transaction.
We may also disclose personal information without your consent in any circumstance that is permitted or required by applicable law.
Transfer of Information to Third Party Service Providers
We provide personal information and non-personally-identifiable information to our parent, subsidiary, affiliated companies, and other businesses or persons such as third party service providers, for the purposes of processing such information on our behalf and promoting the goods and services of our trusted business partners (for example, navigation system map updates), some or all of which may store your information on servers located in Ireland. As a result, this information may be subject to the laws of those jurisdictions, including access requests from governments, courts, or law enforcement in those jurisdictions according to laws in those jurisdictions.
We may also share personal information with our financial service providers that we may retain from time to time, who may use this information to contact you regarding the administration of your lease and in furtherance of our marketing purposes.
Disclosure to Third Parties of Non-Identifiable/Aggregated Information
We may share non-personally identifiable information (such as anonymous user usage data, referring/exit pages and URLs, platform types, number of clicks, etc.) with third parties to demonstrate the usage patterns for JLR Canada’s advertisements, content, functionality promotions and/or services on the Website and/or on third party websites.
4. User Account, Password, and Security
No security measures can provide absolute protection. We cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you provide to us. We cannot and will not be responsible for any breach of security by any third parties or for any actions of any third parties (including other users of the Website) that receive any of the information that is disclosed to us. The Website also links to a wide variety of other websites and the Website may contain advertisements of third parties. We are not and cannot be responsible for the privacy policies of those websites of third parties or how they treat information about their users.
For certain features available through the Website, we may require the use of encryption technologies provided for your protection and/or User Account. We use precautions to protect the privacy of your UserID, password and User Account information. You, however, are ultimately responsible for protecting your UserID, password and User Account information from disclosure to third parties, and you are not permitted to circumvent the use of required encryption technologies. You agree to: (a) immediately notify JLR Canada of any unauthorized use of your UserID, password and/or User Account, and/or any other breach of security; and (b) ensure that you exit from your User Account at the end of each session.
While we may provide certain encryption technologies and use other precautions to help protect your confidential information and provide security, we do not and cannot guarantee or warrant that information transmitted through the internet is secure, or that such transmissions are free from delay, interruption, interception or error.5. Employment Opportunity Information Collection
The Website may contain various links to other websites, including links to various third party service providers. JLR Canada is not and cannot be responsible for the privacy practices or the content of any of those other websites. Other than under agreements with certain reputable organizations and companies, and except for third party service providers whose services you voluntarily elect to utilize, we do not share any of the personal information that you provide to us with any of the websites to which the Website links, although we may share aggregate, non-personally identifiable data with those other websites. Please check with those websites in order to determine their privacy policies and your rights under them.
Each retailer operation is a separate legal entity, independent from JLR Canada. As such, each retailer has its own privacy practices and JLR Canada is not responsible for these privacy practices. We recommend that you review the privacy practices of the retailer with whom you are dealing to ensure that you understand their privacy practices and procedures.8. International Transfers of Information
Some or all of the personal information we collect may be processed or stored in other countries, including Ireland, the United States and other jurisdictions. As a result, this information may be subject to the laws of those jurisdictions, including access requests from governments, courts, or law enforcement in those jurisdictions according to laws in those jurisdictions. If you have questions about our use of international service providers, you may contact us using the information below.9. European Union Users
You have the right to withdraw your consent for us to collect, use and disclose your personal information. There are some uses from which you cannot opt-out, such as our use of your personal information in connection with your ownership status of a vehicle or vehicle recall (and similar) notification procedures, which are uses that are required by law. In other circumstances, if you withdraw consent, we will not be able to continue with a particular transaction. For example, opting out of the disclosure and use of your personal information as a prospective employee may prevent you from being hired as an employee by JLR Canada to the extent you are using this Website to apply for an open position.
If you withdraw consent, such withdrawal does not operate retroactively and may affect your ability to use our Services.
You may opt out of online behavioral advertising by following the instructions set forth above under the above section “Additional Ways That Information Is Collected,” subsection “Third Party Opt Out.” We may also provide opt out options within electronic marketing or other communications.12. Contact Us
If you would like to withdraw consent, or if you have additional questions, complaints, or comments of any kind, or if you see anything on the Website that you think is inappropriate or incorrect, please let us know by e-mail or by sending your comments or requests to:
75 Courtneypark Drive West, Unit 3
Mississauga, ON L5W 0E3
Attn: Privacy Officer, Customer Relations Centre – Web Site
© 2016 Jaguar Land Rover Canada ULC. All Rights Reserved.
EFFECTIVE AS OF: June 16, 2014
LAST UPDATED: February 2, 2022